[CTC] FRIDAY in DC: Emergency Protest in Solidarity w/ Kenya LGBTQ+ Community

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Wed Oct 4 13:08:05 PDT 2023

***please forward where appropriate***

FRIDAY: Emergency Protest in Solidarity w/ Kenya LGBTQ+ Community

When: Friday, October 6th at 10:00 AM
Where: Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, 600 17th St. NW

RSVP HERE <https://actionnetwork.org/events/emergency-action-no-us-kenya-trade-negotiations-without-lgbtq-protections>

Right now, the Kenyan parliament is debating a bill that criminalizes anyone identifying as LGBTQ+, or anyone who promotes or protects LGBTQ+ human rights.

But despite claims that it is advancing the human rights of queer people “in all corners of the world,” the Biden administration is continuing to pursue a special trade agreement with Kenya, the Strategic Trade and Investment Partnership (STIP).

Yesterday, the administration announced that it would be holding a second round of in-person STIP talks with Kenyan counterparts in D.C. – in less than 24 hours. In doing so, they are ignoring calls from queer activists in Kenya, the Congressional Equality Caucus, and U.S. civil society groups to pause negotiations until this hateful bill is shelved.

In solidarity with LGBTQI+ groups across Kenya, we are holding a protest this Friday, October 6th, at 10:00 AM in front of the office of the U.S. Trade Representative.  <https://actionnetwork.org/events/emergency-action-no-us-kenya-trade-negotiations-without-lgbtq-protections/>

We will be demanding that the U.S. do more to ensure that LGBTQ+ rights are protected in Kenya, or pause trade talks until such assurances are made.

Please RSVP here <https://actionnetwork.org/events/emergency-action-no-us-kenya-trade-negotiations-without-lgbtq-protections/> if you are able to join us, and I will follow up with you with more details.

Criminalization of the LGBTQ+ community should be a deal-breaker when it comes to doing business with the U.S. Continuing Kenya trade talks without strong human rights protections sends a message that it isn’t.

Please join us on Friday.  For more info, email Ryan Harvey <rharvey at citizen.org>.